Saturday, December 5, 2009

swine flu vaccine.

Well, even though I am SURE that I have already had the infamous swine flu, I still got vaccinated-just to be 100% completely covered. The health department was offering the vaccine for free, so the girls and I went. Terry had class, so he couldn't come, but will be getting his next week. It turned out to be a bigger ordeal than I could have ever imagined.

They had a great system in place, so there was no waiting in line. That part was easy. It was the girls who were hard (big surprise!). They had some anxiety about getting the shot, but I kept telling them that it would only hurt for a minute and that they would be protected from the swine flu. I decided to go first and show my bravery. Perhaps that was my mistake.

Trinity went next, but she tried to fight me. I had to hold her tight on my lap while she screamed "NO!" but the nurse was able to do it quick and then Trinity was fine. She's just dramatic. But while all this was going on, Natalie was getting more scared and more worried. When I looked at her to tell her it was her turn, she turned and ran out the door! I jumped up and caught her, and then she started screaming and crying, and made herslef SO heavy that I could not lift her. I dragged her back into the room, and kept trying to pick her up. Nothing. Man, this kid is SOLID! I finally got her up on my lap and was trying to hold her down, but she struggled so much that the nurse couldn't do it. By this time, the WHOLE office was looking at us, and you know how much I HATE that!!! No other kid was crying or screaming, lucky me. Oh, and this whole time, I was actually laughing! I'm not sure why-I think it was because I was embarrassed, and because Natalie had NEVER, EVER done this before over a shot, and I couldn't believe it was happening. I couldn't believe she could make herself so heavy that I couldn't pick her up!!!

Finally, a male nurse that was nearby offered to help. The female nurse that was helping us asked me if I wanted to just not give her the shot. She said she didn't want to traumatize my daughter and then another lady piped in and said she can't risk getting her nurse stuck with the needle. That I understood, but I wasn't going to leave without my child vaccinated. So I asked to male nurse if he would help me hold her down. He agreed, and while even he couldn't hold her completely still, the female nurse was able to get the job done!

What an ordeal! I was dripping with sweat, and Natalie was dripping with tears, but they soon stopped because the nurse gave her a lollipop. And the whole building must have heard her screams, because on our way out at the other end of the building, she was offered another lollipop, which she promptly put in her mouth, so she had two sticks coming out of her mouth! We were also offered words of encouragement, and people were cheering for her, since she had gotten the shot! This was by far the craziest doctor's visit I have ever had.

No comments: